Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Christian Menorah: The Fifth Night


Tonight is the fifth night of Chanukah and today is also the beginning of the Advent Season.  I do have an Advent wreath, but after lighting the menorah after sundown for five nights, I can see something that often gets missed with the Advent wreath tradition.  The Advent wreath can be lit anytime of the day or night, but there is something special about candlelight after dark.

As someone who is not particular fond of all of the darkness we have here in the Northern Hemisphere right now, I long for daylight.  That is probably why one of my favorite bible verse this time of year is the following:

The light shines in the darkness, 
and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:5
May I long for Christ as much as I long for daylight.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment