Sunday, October 27, 2013

Using Our Sense of Touch as A Tool for Prayer



As a Christian, I often struggle with staying focused when I pray. My mind seems to easily wander until I find myself thinking about things I have to do, things I want to do, things in the past, etc.  I must also confess that, if I am tired, I even fall asleep.  Many other Christians I talk to confess to the same experiences.  At times, our minds seem to have minds of their own.

For centuries, Christians have used prayer beads to engage the body, mind, and spirit in prayer.  Prayer beads hold no magical powers; they are simply tools to help us focus our mind toward God.  

As we move our fingers over the beads as we pray, we activate our sense of touch.  This act helps us retain our focus on prayer and, if our mind wanders, it helps remind us of our intention to pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment