Thursday, October 24, 2013

What is Prayer?

As I have been looking for a quote or bible verse to add to the title of this blog about prayer, I am having trouble choosing just one.  Many have written and talked about what prayer is in beautiful and meaningful ways.  However, none that I have found see to be broad enough to encompass everything.

There is a quote from Billy Graham that says:

Prayer is simply a two-way conversation with you and God.

I like that quote.  The only thing that it excludes for me is when I have experienced a connection with God, that I cannot express with words.  Does a conversation need to include words?  Maybe not.  Animals converse with each other, but not in the same language we speak.

The word that comes to me instead of "conversation" is "connection."  But, I must acknowledge that a connection could be one-sided, which leaves the word "connection" lacking as well.

Aha.   Maybe a better word would be "communication."  Yet, that does not sound very personal.

Conclusion:  Billy Graham is a wise man.

No comments:

Post a Comment